Working with the Cloud
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THIS CHAPTER:
- Working with the Amazon S3 service
- Streaming data efficiently
- Understanding the OAuth protocol
- Signing in to your app with Twitter
- Signing in to your app with Facebook
- Designing a large-scale system
- Designing a shared-nothing architecture
- Using a memcached server
- Using the consistent hashing algorithm
- Dealing with complex cache invalidation
It’s time to move on from the To Do List application and build something more exciting. In this chapter, you’ll build a social networking app called Lifestream. It will be similar to Twitter for photos. Instead of posting 140-character messages, your users will post photos direct from their mobile phones using your app. Your Lifestream app will allow users to follow each other in the same way Twitter does.
In this chapter, you’ll find out how to answer some big questions:
- How do you store millions of photos?
- How do you link a service to social networking sites?
- How do you handle ...