Selling Your App
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THIS CHAPTER:
- Determining the right marketing strategy for your app
- Working as a freelancer
- Using apps to promote your products and services
- Selling your own apps as a business
- Marketing your app using standard techniques
- Marketing your app using techniques that give you an edge
- Spending money effectively to market your app
- Building a community of loyal fans
Selling your app may be far more difficult than coding it. And you can sell your app in far more ways that just putting a price on it in an app store. You need to take a step back from the keyboard and your development environment and really think about what you — or your company or client — wants to achieve with your app. This is a process. It is something that you refine as you take your app to users and as you see how your app performs out there in the real world. Be prepared to drop your original ideas if the evidence that comes in says to try something else.
Concurrently with building your app, you need to think about how to sell it. This chapter gets you up to speed on the basics and describes a number of strategies and tactics for getting the best return from your development investment. You should read this chapter as a starting point for your sales work. There is at least as much to do in selling your app as there is in building it. Even if you, as a developer, will hand over this work to someone with a marketing or sales background, you still need to know, as an ...