Beginning RPG Maker VX Ace takes you through the process of using the RPG Maker VX Ace game development engine to create your very own role playing game. The book has been designed with the complete beginner in mind who has little to no experience with the engine. Tutorials and exercises will take you from installing the software to putting the final touches upon your first project.
Game design can be quite a daunting challenge, as it generally involves a large amount of programming know-how on top of having to plan everything out that makes a good game what it is. RPG Maker VX Ace is an intuitive system that allows you to make your own game with a fraction of the effort otherwise required. Beginning RPG Maker VX Ace equips you with the knowledge you need to use Enterbrain’s newest role playing game development engine.
Table of Contents
- Contents at a Glance
- About the Author
- About the Technical Reviewer
Part I: Creating a Solid Foundation
- Chapter 1: Starting Out with RPG Maker VX Ace
Chapter 2: Switches and Variables
- Switches? Variables? Pizza?
- Creating Your Second Map
- Cool! Now, About Those Variables . . .
- Advanced Challenge: Using Variables to Handle an Area Transition!
- But You Don’t Have Anything Inside the Branches!
- Chapter 3: Of Friends and Foes
Chapter 4: Fleshing Out Your World
- Adding Content to Our Game World
- A Discussion on Battlebacks
- Adding Transfer Events to the World Map
- A Little More on Terrain Tags and Tilesets!
- A Discussion of Floor Damage
- Additional Exercises
- Chapter 5: Your First Dungeon
Part II: Increasing the Complexity
Chapter 6: Your Second Dungeon
- Updating Our NPCs
- The First Two Floors of Our Second Dungeon
- Interacting with the Dragon Statue
- Our Second Boss
- Creating a Bookcase Interaction Event
- Creating Our Second Boss Event
- The Second Dungeon’s Random Encounters
- Placing the Second Dungeon on the World Map
- The Staircases of the Second Dungeon
Chapter 7: Arenas and Other Minigames
- Why an Arena?
- What If I Want Another Minigame?
- Arena Overview
- Outlining Our Arena
- Creating the Arena Sign-up
- Creating the Arena Battle Event
- Creating the Arena Result Event
- Miscellaneous Arena Considerations
- Creating Our Arena Shop
- The Treasure Chest Game
- Populating the Chests of the Treasure Chest Game
- Creating the Treasure Chest Game NPC
- Completing the Treasure Chest Game
- Related Exercises
- Other Minigames
- Adding the Minigame Areas to Our World Map
Chapter 8: Sidequests
- End of the Line for Lite
- Let’s Create a Permanent Sidequest!
- Let’s Create a Time-Sensitive Quest!
- Other Sidequest Ideas
- Chapter 9: All About Common Events
Chapter 10: Treasure Hunting and Other Hidden Things
- The Compass
- How to Change Whether a Map Displays Its Name
- Creating Hidden Treasure Chests That Require the Compass to Be Found
- The Treasure Hunter
- A Hidden Location
- Hidden Passages
- Chapter 6: Your Second Dungeon
Part III: The Finishing Touches
Chapter 11: Puzzles
- Slippery Floors!
- Remote Statue Manipulation!
- Creating the Second Town
- Additional Exercises
- Chapter 12: Final Preparations
Chapter 13: The Final Dungeon
- The Beginning of the End—The First Floor
- The Basement
- The Second Floor
- The Third Floor
- The Final Boss
- The End (of the Game)
- More Tips and Tricks for Final Dungeons
Chapter 14: Basic Scripting Exercises in RMVXA
- What Is Ruby?
- What Is Object-Oriented Programming?
- Critically Coded
- Coded Messages (in a Bottle)
- Of TP and Their Preservation
- Damage Floors Revisited
- Game Over by Incapacitation
- Adding a Menu to the Game Over Screen
Chapter 15: More Tips and Tricks for RMVXA
- Forcing Certain Party Members to Participate in a Battle
- Play-Testing Features
- Of Deserts and Ghostly Locations
- Two of a Kind
- A Full House
- Ye Olde RPG—A Treatise on Quest Experience
- The Other Actor Event Commands
- The Bridge
- The Town Map
- Variants on the Map Exercise
- Appendix A: Useful Resources for RPG Maker VX Ace
- Chapter 11: Puzzles
- Title: Beginning RPG Maker VX Ace
- Release date: December 2014
- Publisher(s): Apress
- ISBN: 9781484207840