Working with List Apps
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THIS CHAPTER:
- What a SharePoint list is
- How to use lists
- The type of information that you can store in lists
- The primary activities available for interacting with lists
- The various default list templates
- How to work with lists to create and view information
This chapter reviews lists, a very important concept that you use throughout SharePoint to store and display information. By gaining a solid understanding of how they work early in this book, you can construct highly effective business applications and solutions in later chapters by combining multiple lists with other important SharePoint components.
This chapter focuses mainly on working with the basic features and functionality of lists. In Chapter 4, you learn how to customize and manage lists to create working environments that suit your specific business requirements and needs.
UNDERSTANDING LIST ELEMENTS
Lists have items, columns, and views. Items and columns correspond to the rows and columns that you see on a grid layout in a spreadsheet. Views present list data in a friendlier format that acts very similarly to a report.
- Items: An item is a row in a list. For example, for a list that stores information on customers, each customer may have a unique item in the list, which is also called the customer row or customer record.
- Columns: A column is a field in a list. You may also see columns referred to as metadata, which is a descriptive piece of information related ...
Get Beginning SharePoint 2013: Building Business Solutions now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.