Getting to Know Your Development Environment
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN THIS CHAPTER:
- Discovering the indispensable tools you can utilize to develop your Windows 8 style applications
- Learning about the Visual Studio and Expression Blend IDEs
- Creating your first Windows 8 style application with Visual Studio
- Discovering a few useful features of the Visual Studio IDE
- Enhancing the user experience with Expression Blend
WROX.COM CODE DOWNLOADS FOR THIS CHAPTER
You can find the wrox.com code downloads for this chapter on the Download Code tab at www.wrox.com/remtitle.cgi?isbn=012680. The code is in the Chapter04.zip download and individually named, as described in the corresponding exercises.
Windows 8 development is a great thing, because of Windows Runtime, the powerful programming languages, and the rendering technologies. Microsoft provides great tools to leverage these magnificent technologies, too. In this chapter, you learn about the two fundamental tools you will utilize while developing your apps: Visual Studio 2012 and Expression Blend.
First, you create a simple Windows 8 app with Visual Studio. The exercises in this chapter help you get acquainted with using the Visual Studio integrated development environment (IDE), and help you understand the basic steps of Windows 8 app development. The user experience is a key success factor for your Windows 8 apps. To understand how a great design tool supports enhancing your user interfaces (UIs) in a few steps, you modify ...