By the end of this chapter, you should be able to:
• Explain the importance of having alternatives as you enter a negotiation.
• Describe how alternatives can be strengthened.
• Define the term reserve point and indicate its purpose during a negotiation.
• Explain what is meant by the area of agreement in a negotiation.
This chapter introduces three important concepts every negotiator should understand:
1. Alternatives—the options available if you cannot negotiate an acceptable deal
2. Reserve point—the point at which a deal fails to meet your requirements and you should walk away
3. Area of potential agreement—an ...