Learn how to go beyond classical automation with CFEngine 3, one of the most established configuration management systems available. In this video tutorial, host and CFEngine creator Mark Burgess takes you on a tour of discovery from basic automation concepts to more complex examples, such as implementing distributed orchestration.
Along the way, sysadmins, developers, and distributed system architects will learn the theory behind configuration management, executable documentation, and self-healing systems through many exercises and hands-on examples. You’ll also discover how to apply CFEngine to a variety of systems.
Mark Burgess, researcher and writer at Oslo University College in Norway and inventor of CFEngine, is a leading voice in the field of infrastructure automation.
Table of contents
- Beyond Automation with CFEngine 3 Course Introduction
Chapter 1: What is Automation?
- Introduction to Automation and Beyond
- The Promises of Automation
- Coding Interlude 1 (Creating Files and Running Commands with Executable Documentation)
- Coding Interlude 2 (Editing Files - an Example of Convergence and Idempotence)
- Safe Automation with Imperfect Tools - Documenting Workarounds
- Mapping Your Architecture in Terms of Patterns
- Two Kinds of Processes: Chain Reactions, Convergence to a Target (Predictability)
- Maximize Stability with Promises
Chapter 2: What is CFEngine?
- Introduction to CFEngine
- Be a Town Planner; Not a Bricklayer
- Don't Be the Machine Yourself, Design Machinery that Is Hands-Free!
- Configuration: Style Sheets for Your Servers
- Code Interlude 3 (Message of the Day)
- Code Interlude 4 (Policy in an Access Control Paradigm)
- Using the CFEngine Dashboard to See Promises Kept
- Chapter 3: The Components of CFEngine
- Chapter 4: First Words and Patterns
- Chapter 5: Think Like a Human, Think Like a Machine
- Chapter 6: How To Tell Your Story with Promises
- Title: Beyond Automation with CFEngine 3
- Release date: September 2014
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 978149191066
You might also like
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Microservices designs require you to change how you build and deploy applications. Instead of creating a …