When searching for genuinely sustainable building design and technology - designs that go beyond conventional sustainability to be truly restorative - we often find that nature got there first. Over 3.5 billion years of natural history have evolved innumerable examples of forms, systems, and processes that can be applied to modern green design.
For architects, urban designers and product designers, this new edition of Biomimicry in Architecture looks to the natural world to achieve radical increases in resource efficiency. Packed with case studies predicting future trends, this edition also contains updated and expanded chapters on structures, materials, waste, water, thermal control and energy, as well as an all-new chapter on light.
An amazing sourcebook of extraordinary design solutions, Biomimicry in Architecture is a must-read for anyone preparing for the challenges of building a sustainable and restorative future.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1: How can we build more efficient structures?
- Chapter 2: How will we manufacture materials?
- Chapter 3: How will we create zero-waste systems?
- Chapter 4: How will we manage water?
- Chapter 5: How will we control our thermal environment?
- Chapter 6: What can biology teach us about light?
- Chapter 7: How will we power our buildings?
- Chapter 8: Synthesis
- Conclusions: What does biomimicry mean for people?
- Applying biomimicry: practice guide for architects
- Further reading
- Image credits
- Title: Biomimicry in Architecture, 2nd Edition
- Release date: August 2019
- Publisher(s): RIBA Publishing
- ISBN: 9781000701609
You might also like
Parametric Design for Architecture
Architects use CAD to help them visualize their ideas. Parametric design is a fast-growing development of …
Artificial Intelligence in Finance
Many industries have been revolutionized by the widespread adoption of AI and machine learning. The programmatic …
Python One-Liners will teach you how to read and write “one-liners”: concise statements of useful functionality …
Python Workout presents 50 exercises that focus on key Python 3 features. In it, expert Python …