Introduction to Statistics and Its Biological Applications
After completing this chapter, you can understand the following:
- The definition, meaning and significance of Statistics.
- The role of statistics in biological studies.
- The two classifications of statistics.
- The different phases of decision-making process.
- The limitations of statistics.
The word ‘statistics’ is derived from the Greek word statistik. Its meaning is political state and the derivation suggests its origin. The administration of the state required the collection and analysis of data regarding population and property for purposes of war and finance. Nowadays, any field of social activity or scientific research finds statistics useful. ...