Time for action – coloring the hull and the gunwale
Your boat is a pretty simple object. The entire hull can be one color, but it's nice to give the gunwale a different color to accent the top and provide more definition:
- Make sure you are working in Layer 1.
- If you have the Properties Panel in the 3D View closed, open it with the N key.
- Select the camera with the RMB.
- Press 0 on the NumPad to change to the Camera view.
- Move the camera back by pressing the G key and then tapping the Z key twice. Then, move the mouse so that the camera dollies out along its local Z direction until the whole boat shows up.
- Change to the Top view.
- Select the lamp with the RMB. In the Properties Panel of the 3D View window, set the lamp's Location so that X is equal to ...