3+ Hours of Video Instruction
Blockchain, the underlying technology of cryptocurrencies, is positioned to revolutionize the world economy; and Ethereum as a particular blockchain enables new decentralized use-cases with the ability to run programs called smart contracts.
The Blockchain and cryptocurrency are important tools for a decentralized market that needs to protect its speed, security, and reputation. Blockchain technologies are being researched by the largest corporations to securely transact and run their business. The concept of smart contracts, micro finance, and transparent transactions are all benefits of the Blockchain. This course will provide a developer the techniques necessary to write applications that run on a Blockchain.
The supporting code for this LiveLesson is located at http://www.informit.com/store/blockchain-applications-and-smart-contracts-livelessons-9780135265659.
About the Instructor
Jim Steele has held lead, architect, and senior management positions at variety of technology companies from RF communications to location-based technology to sensor systems. He is passionate about new technology to enable software developers.
Jim has held research positions in theoretical physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Ohio State University. He is the lead author of The Android Developer’s Cookbook, which was designed to help application developers start working on the Android mobile operating system. He is also a noted speaker and has given many invited lectures. He holds a Ph.D. in theoretical physics from the State University of New York at Stony Brook.
Intermediate to Advanced
What You Will Learn
- What are relevant Blockchain application use-cases
- How to set up a development environment for Solidity
- Details of the Solidity language and how to code a smart contract
- How to create a test network to test applications without cost
- How to launch a smart contract in a live network
Who Should Take This Course
- Anyone who is interested in learning the basics of smart contracts
- Developers, program managers, and blockchain enthusiasts
- Computer professionals, software engineers, and algorithm engineers
- Basic understanding of computer programming and using an IDE (integrated development environment) such as Visual Studio
About Pearson Video Training
Pearson publishes expert-led video tutorials covering a wide selection of technology topics designed to teach you the skills you need to succeed. These professional and personal technology videos feature world-leading author instructors published by your trusted technology brands: Addison-Wesley, Cisco Press, Pearson IT Certification, Prentice Hall, Sams, and Que Topics include: IT Certification, Network Security, Cisco Technology, Programming, Web Development, Mobile Development, and more. Learn more about Pearson Video training at http://www.informit.com/video.
Table of Contents
Lesson 1: Introduction to Blockchains and Smart Contracts
- Learning objectives 00:01:02
- 1.1 Explain the history of blockchain technology 00:06:58
- 1.2 Understand the consequences of double-spending avoidance 00:07:07
- 1.3 Appreciate the objectives of different blockchains 00:09:19
- 1.4 Add smart contracts to blockchains 00:03:08
- 1.5 Determine relevant smart contract use-cases 00:06:58
- Summary 00:00:48
Lesson 2: Ethereum: A Smart Contract Blockchain
- Learning objectives 00:00:55
- 2.1 Introduce Ethereum as a blockchain for smart contracts 00:06:28
- 2.2 Use Truffle as a smart contract development tool 00:08:10
- 2.3 Explain Ethereum addresses and transactions 00:07:57
- 2.4 Understand the relationship between Ether and Gas 00:08:01
- Summary 00:00:46
- Lesson 3: Solidity: A Contract-Oriented Language
Lesson 4: Testing, Debugging, and Deploying Smart Contracts
- Learning objectives 00:00:25
- 4.1 Test smart contracts on a personal blockchain 00:05:21
- 4.2 Debug smart contracts 00:05:31
- 4.3 Deploy smart contracts on a test and live network 00:05:10
- Summary 00:00:32
- Lesson 5: Smart Contracts Example: A Custom Token in Ethereum
- Title: Blockchain Applications and Smart Contracts: Developing with Ethereum and Solidity
- Release date: August 2018
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 9780135265635