15 Encryption and Security
Cable based communication is inherently secure. However, since anyone could potentially listen into a wireless transmission, security is a key issue for wireless communications systems.
Security is dealt with at many levels in the Bluetooth specification:
- The baseband specification details the SAFER+ algorithms used for security procedures.
- The Link Manager specification covers link level procedures for configuring security.
- The HCI specification details how a host controls security and how security-related events are reported by a Bluetooth module to its host.
- The Generic Access Profile covers security modes and user-level procedures for use in all products implementing Bluetooth profiles.
- There is also a Bluetooth ...