ACCORDING TO A well-known axiom, you can’t manage what you don’t measure. This is true of brand equity as well. Any strong brand equity measurement system will accomplish the following objectives:
• Measure the brand’s equity across a variety of dimensions at different points in time over time.
• Provide diagnostic information on the reasons for the changes in brand equity.
• Gauge and evaluate the brand’s progress against goals.
• Provide direction on how to improve brand equity.
• Provide insight into the brand’s positioning vis-à-vis its major competitors, including its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
• Provide direction on how to reposition the brand for maximum effect
When I was named director ...