Want a new job or career? Need to demonstrate more value to customers or employers? Use today’s hottest social media platforms to build the powerful personal brand that gets you what you want! In this completely updated book, Erik Deckers and Kyle Lacy help you use social media to and networking to advance your career, grow your business, and land new job opportunities. From LinkedIn to Facebook, now including Instagram and SnapChat, this book is packed with new techniques and ideas that are practical, easy, and effective. Deckers and Lacy show you how to supercharge all your business and personal relationships…demonstrate that you are the best solution to employers’ or partners’ toughest problems…become a recognized thought leader…and turn your online network into outstanding jobs, great projects, and a fulfilling, profitable career!
Discover how to:
- Choose today’s best social media tools for your personal goals
- Build an authentic storyline and online identity that gets you the right opportunities
- Make the most of Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter–and leverage new platforms like Snapchat and Instagram
- Build connections and prove expertise by sharing video on YouTube and Vimeo
- Find yourself on search engines and then optimize your personal online presence
- Promote your events, accomplishments, victories…and even defeats and lessons learned
- Integrate online and offline networking to get more from both
- Reach people with hiring authority and budgets on LinkedIn
- Use Twitter to share the ideas and passions that make you uniquely valuable
- Avoid “killer” social networking mistakes
- Leverage your online expert status to become a published author or public speaker
- Measure the success of your social media branding
- Get new projects or jobs through your online friends and followers
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- CONTENTS AT A GLANCE
- TABLE OF CONTENTS
I WHY SHOULD I CARE ABOUT SELF-PROMOTION?
1 Welcome to the Party
- What Is Self-Promotion?
- Personal Branding
- Personal Branding Case Study: Mignon Fogarty, Grammar Girl
- The Five Universal Objectives of Personal Branding
- Who Needs Self-Promotion?
- Meet Our Heroes
2 How Do You Fit in the Mix?
- The Basics of Building Your Personal Brand Story
- Personal Branding Case Study: Park Howell
- Telling Your Complete Brand Story
Ten Do’s and Don’ts of Telling Your Story
- 1. Don’t Post Pictures that Would Shock Your Mother
- 2. Don’t View Your Personal Brand Story as a Sales Pitch
- 3. Don’t Post Something You’ll Regret
- 4. Don’t Ask for Things First; Ask for Things Second
- 5. Don’t Get Distracted
- 6. Don’t Underestimate the Power of Your Network
- 7. Do Invest in Yourself
- 8. Do Invest in Other People
- 9. Do Be Visible and Active
- 10. Do Take Some Time for Yourself
- 1 Welcome to the Party
II YOUR NETWORK IS YOUR CASTLE—BUILD IT
3 Blogging: Telling Your Story
- What Is Blogging?
- Personal Branding Case Study: Jonathan Thomas, Anglotopia.com
- Choose Your Blogging Platforms
- Setting Up a Blog
- Getting Inspired
- Writing for Readers vs. Writing for Search Engines
- How Often Should You Post?
- How Long Should Your Posts Be?
- SEO Through Blogging
- How Does This Apply to Our Four Heroes?
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Blogging
- A Final Note on the Rules of Blogging
4 LinkedIn: Networking on Steroids
- The Basics of LinkedIn
- Personal Branding Case Study: Anthony Juliano
Ten Do’s and Don’ts of LinkedIn
- 1. Do Upload a Professional Picture
- 2. Do Connect to Your Real Friends and Contacts
- 3. Do Keep Your Profile Current
- 4. Do Delete People Who Spam You
- 5. Do Make Your Summary Look Its Best
- 6. Don’t Use LinkedIn Like Facebook and Twitter
- 7. Don’t Sync LinkedIn with Twitter
- 8. Don’t Decline Invitations—Archive Them
- 9. Don’t Ask Everyone for Recommendations
- 10. Don’t Forget to Use Spelling and Grammar Check
5 Twitter: Sharing in the Conversation
- Why Should You Use Twitter?
- What Can Twitter Do for You?
- Personal Branding Case Study: @HaggardHawks
- How Do You Use Twitter?
- Applications for Twitter Domination
- What Should You Tweet (and Not Tweet)?
- Personal Branding Case Study: @MuslimIQ
- Seven Do’s and Don’ts While Using Twitter
- Twitter Tips in 140 Characters or Less
- How Should Our Four Heroes Use Twitter?
6 Facebook: Developing a Community of Friends
- Why Should You Use Facebook?
- What Can Facebook Do for You?
- What You Should Know About Facebook
- The Basics: Creating a Personal Profile
- Stay in Control of Your Profile
- Using a Professional Page for Personal Branding
- Top Four Tips for Using Facebook
- Ten Do’s and Don’ts of Facebook
- Facebook Tips in 140 Characters or Less
7 Say Cheese: Sharing Photos and Videos
- Why Video
- Shooting Video With Regular Digital Cameras
- Recording Screen Capture Videos
- Personal Branding Case Study: Lynn Ferguson & Mark Tweddle
- What Should I Make Videos Of?
- Why Post Photos?
- Copyright: Understanding Creative Commons
- Embedding Videos and Photos in Your Blog
- SEO for Videos and Photos
- The Video Résumé
- Photos and Video Tips in 140 Characters
- 8 Other Social Networking Tools
9 Googling Yourself: Finding Yourself on Search Engines
- Have You Ever Googled Yourself?
- What Do You Want Others to Find?
- Search Engine Optimization
- What SEO Used To Be
- What SEO Looks Like Now
- Reverse Search Engine Optimization
- What if You Share a Common Name?
- Search Engine Tools
- The Value of Reputation Management
- How Do Our Heroes Use SEO?
- Reputation Management Tips in 140 Characters
10 Bringing It All Together: Launching Your Brand
- What Is a Personal Brand Campaign?
- How Do Our Heroes Build Their P&T Statements?
- Why Is a Personal Brand Campaign Important?
- Personal Branding Case Study: Sheryl Brown
- Building Your Personal Brand Campaign
- Unique Ways to Launch Your Branding Campaign
- How Should Our Heroes Launch Their Brands?
- Do’s and Don’ts of Launching Your Personal Brand
11 Measuring Success: You Like Me, You Really Like Me!
- Why Should You Measure?
- What Should You Measure?
- How Should You Measure?
- Getting an Overview of Your Website Performance
- Four More Measurement Tools
- Effectively Measuring Your Personal Brand
- How Can Our Heroes Use Analytics and Measurement?
- Do’s and Don’ts for Analytics and Measurement
- Analytics Tips in 140 Characters
- 3 Blogging: Telling Your Story
III PROMOTING YOUR BRAND IN THE REAL WORLD
12 How to Network: “Hello, My Name Is…”
- Why Should I Bother Networking?
- Personal Branding Case Study: Starla West
- The Rules of Networking
- Personal Branding Case Study: Hazel Walker
- Three Types of Networking
- Networking Faux Pas
- After the Meeting
- One-on-One Networking
- How to Make an Email Introduction
- The Follow-Up
- But I Just Don’t Want to Meet the Other Person
- Personal Branding Case Study: Dave Delaney
- Network While You Still Have a Job
- Don’t Discount Serendipity
- Do’s and Don’ts of Networking
- How Would Our Heroes Network?
13 Public Speaking: We Promise You Won’t Die
- Should You Speak in Public?
- Overcoming Your Fear of Public Speaking
- Personal Branding Case Study: Lorraine Ball
- Finding Your Speaking Niche
- How to Launch Your Speaking Career
- Personal Branding Case Study: Crystal Washington
- Giving Your Talk
- Important Technology Tips for Presenters
- How Does Public Speaking Apply to Our Four Heroes?
- Speaking Tips in 140 Characters
14 Getting Published: “I’m an Author!”
- Why Should I Become a Published Writer?
- Personal Branding Case Study: Jackie Bledsoe
- Finding Publishing Opportunities
- Build Your Personal Brand with Your Writing
- Publication Rights
- Create Your Own Articles’ Niche
- Getting Started
- Getting Paid
- The Do’s and Don’ts of Writing for Publication
- How Can Our Heroes Turn to Writing for Publication?
15 Personal Branding: Using What You’ve Learned to Land Your Dream Job
- Using Your Network to Find a Job
- Creating a Résumé
- How Does Social Media Fit in Your Résumé?
- Personal Branding Case Study: Jason Falls
- Do’s and Don’ts of Résumé Building
- Don’t Rely on the Job Boards
- Try the Company Job Boards
- Use LinkedIn to Bypass Job Boards
- Skip HR Altogether—Work Your Network
- Tell Your Friends
- The Informational Interview
- Start Your Own Company
- Job Searching Tips in 140 Characters
- 12 How to Network: “Hello, My Name Is…”
- Title: Branding Yourself, 3rd Edition
- Release date: December 2017
- Publisher(s): Que
- ISBN: 9780134786636
You might also like
Personal Branding For Dummies, 2nd Edition
The simple guide to managing your personal brand, a vital element of success in the professional …
Digital You: Real Personal Branding in the Virtual Age
What’s your story? The most successful brands aren’t created, they are unearthed. Successful branding is based …
How to Get Ahead: A Proven 6-Step System to Unleash Your Personal Brand and Build a World-Class Network So Opportunities Come To You
Turbocharge your professional success and accelerate your career. This practical guide cuts the fluff and gives …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …