Product management (PM) has emerged as an exciting and highly desirable career path, offering opportunities to people with far-reaching and eclectic skill sets and backgrounds. Given the enormous variability in the PM role from organization to organization, why do so many potential product managers struggle with pursuing this career? Do you need to learn technical skills? Become an expert designer? Get an MBA? This video provides strategies for breaking into a PM role from within or outside an organization.
- Discover how to spot the PM roles and organizations that match your background and experience
- Learn ways to transition from a nonproduct role to a PM role in your organization
- Survey the questions job seekers commonly encounter when applying for PM positions
- Learn to identify the PM "quick win" opportunities that add value in any organization
- Understand how to solidify and focus your role if you're new to a PM position
Matt Lemay is cofounder of Constellate Data, a business intelligence research, consulting, and training company based in NYC. Matt has developed and led product management and data strategy workshops for companies like GE, American Express, Pfizer, McCann, and Johnson & Johnson. Previously, Matt worked as the Senior Product Manager for the music startup Songza (acquired by Google) and as the Head of Consumer Product at Bitly. He is the author of the O'Reilly title, Product Management in Practice: A Real-World Guide to the Key Connective Role of the 21st Century.
Table of Contents
- Introduction: The Appeal of Product Management 00:02:28
- You Might Be a Product Manager If.... 00:02:34
- You Might NOT Be a Product Manager If.... 00:02:32
- Let's Get This Out of the Way: How Technical Do I Need to Be? 00:05:45
- Segueing into a Product Role at Your Organization 00:04:13
- Looking for a Product Role at Another Organization 00:04:34
- Interviewing for a Product Role 00:05:31
- Learning Exercise: Telling Your Story 00:03:08
- Conclusion: Be Patient! 00:03:03
- Title: Breaking Into Product Management
- Release date: August 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491990834