DevOps is as much about culture as it is about tools
When people talk about DevOps, they often emphasize configuration management systems, source code repositories, and other tools. But, as Mandi Walls explains in this Velocity report, DevOps is really about changing company culture—replacing traditional development and operations silos with collaborative teams of people from both camps.
The DevOps movement has produced some efficient teams turning out better products faster. The tough part is initiating the change. This report outlines strategies for managers looking to go beyond tools to build a DevOps culture among their technical staff.
- Documenting reasons for changing to DevOps before you commit
- Defining meaningful and achievable goals
- Finding a technical leader to be an evangelist, tools and process expert, and shepherd
- Starting with a non-critical but substantial pilot project
- Facilitating open communication among developers, QA engineers, marketers, and other professionals
- Realigning your team’s responsibilities and incentives
- Learning when to mediate disagreements and conflicts
Download this free report and learn how to the DevOps approach can help you create a supportive team environment built on communication, respect, and trust.
Mandi Walls is a Senior Consultant with Opscode.
Table of contents
- Building a DevOps Culture
- 1. Introduction
- 2. What Is Organizational Culture?
- 3. What Exactly Makes a Culture âDevOpsâ?
- 4. Ready, Set, Change
- 5. Mentoring the New Culture
- 6. Checkpoints and Declaring Victory
- About the Author
- Title: Building a DevOps Culture
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781449368364
You might also like
The DevOps Adoption Playbook
Achieve streamlined, rapid production with enterprise-level DevOps The DevOps Adoption Playbook provides practical, actionable, real-world guidance …
Implementing Azure DevOps Solutions
A comprehensive guide to becoming a skilled Azure DevOps engineer Key Features Explore a step-by-step approach …
Python for DevOps
Much has changed in technology over the past decade. Data is hot, the cloud is ubiquitous, …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …