The software development ecosystem is constantly changing, providing a constant stream of new tools, frameworks, techniques, and paradigms. Over the past few years, incremental developments in core engineering practices for software development have created the foundations for rethinking how architecture changes over time, along with ways to protect important architectural characteristics as it evolves. This practical guide ties those parts together with a new way to think about architecture and time.
Table of contents
- Foreword to the First Edition
- Foreword to the Second Edition
- I. Mechanics
1. Evolving Software Architecture
- The Challenges of Evolving Software
- Evolutionary Architecture
- How Is Long-Term Planning Possible When Everything Changes All the Time?
- Once Iâve Built an Architecture, How Can I Prevent It from Degrading Over Time?
- Why Evolutionary?
2. Fitness Functions
- What Is a Fitness Function?
- Who Writes Fitness Functions?
- Where Is My Fitness Function Testing Framework?
- Outcomes Versus Implementations
- 3. Engineering Incremental Change
4. Automating Architectural Governance
- Fitness Functions as Architectural Governance
- Code-Based Fitness Functions
- Turnkey Tools
- Integration Architecture
- Enterprise Architecture
- Fitness Functions as a Checklist, Not a Stick
- Documenting Fitness Functions
- II. Structure
5. Evolutionary Architecture Topologies
- Evolvable Architecture Structure
- Architectural Quanta and Granularity
- Reuse Patterns
6. Evolutionary Data
- Evolutionary Database Design
- Inappropriate Data Entanglement
- From Native to Fitness Function
- III. Impact
7. Building Evolvable Architectures
- Principles of Evolutionary Architecture
- Greenfield Projects
- Retrofitting Existing Architectures
- Migrating Architectures
- Guidelines for Building Evolutionary Architectures
- Fitness Function-Driven Architecture
8. Evolutionary Architecture Pitfalls and Antipatterns
- Technical Architecture
- Incremental Change
- Business Concerns
9. Putting Evolutionary Architecture
- Organizational Factors
- The Business Case
- Building Enterprise Fitness Functions
- Where Do You Start?
- Future State?
- Why (or Why Not)?
- About the Authors
- Title: Building Evolutionary Architectures, 2nd Edition
- Release date: November 2022
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781492097549
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
Even bad code can function. But if code isn't clean, it can bring a development organization …
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …