How will software development and operations have to change to meet the sustainability and green needs of the planet? And what does that imply for development organizations? In this eye-opening book, sustainable software advocates Anne Currie, Sarah Hsu, and Sara Bergman provide a unique overview of this topic—discussing everything from the likely evolution of national grids to the effect those changes will have on the day-to-day lives of developers.
Ideal for everyone from new developers to CTOs, Building Green Software tackles the challenges involved and shows you how to build, host, and operate code in a way that's not only better for the planet, but also cheaper and relatively low-risk for your business. Most hyperscale public cloud providers have already committed to net-zero IT operations by 2030. This book shows you how to get on board.
- How the energy transition is likely to change hosting on prem and in the cloud—and how your company can prepare
- The fundamental architectural principles of sustainable software development and how to apply them
- How to determine which parts of your system need to change
- The concept of extending hardware longevity and the part that software plays
Table of contents
- What Does It Mean to Be Green?
- What We Reckon
- Chapter 2: The Building Blocks: Carbon, Hardware, and Electricity
- Chapter 3: Code Efficiency
- Green by Design
- Chapter 4: Operational Efficiency
- Chapter 5: Carbon Awareness
- Chapter 6: Hardware Efficiency
- Chapter 7: Multidisciplinary Aspects
- Chapter 8: Measurement
- What Next?
2. Building Blocks
- The Reason We Are Here: Carbon
- Back to Basics: Electricity
- Hardware 101 for Software Engineers
- You’re All Set
3. Efficiency is everything. Or is it?
- What is code efficiency for?
- Hyper efficient code
- Pick the right platform
- Use green design patterns
- The lowdown
- The Perfect
- 8.2 The Good Enough?
- 8.3 Examination of the Current Methodologies
- 8.4 Available tooling
- You Made It!
- About the Authors
- Title: Building Green Software
- Release date: July 2024
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781098150563
You might also like
Radar Trends to Watch: September 2023
Read about the latest developments on O'Reilly Media's Radar.
Technology Strategy Patterns
Technologists who want their ideas heard, understood, and funded are often told to speak the language …
Inclusive Design for a Digital World: Designing with Accessibility in Mind
What is inclusive design? It is simple. It means that your product has been created with …
Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development, Third Edition
“This edition contains Larman’s usual accurate and thoughtful writing. It is a very good book made …