REST is an architectural style that tackles the challenges of building scalable web services. APIs provide the fabric through which systems interact, and REST has become synonymous with APIs. The depth, breadth, and ease of use of Go, make it a breeze for developers to work with it to build robust Web APIs. This course will teach you to build a RESTful web server. You will learn to add routing and handle requests, thus making your APIs more RESTful. Later, by testing and profiling your code you will ensure it runs correctly and behaves well at scale. Moving on with security, you will learn to log requests and outcomes of API calls and speed up performance using the Echo framework. By the end of this course, you will have the knowledge you need to start building your own enterprise-grade RESTful web services that are production-ready, secure, scalable, and reliable.
What You Will Learn
- Build and test robust RESTful APIs using Go.
- Integrate modern databases with your web services
- Secure access to your API with auth and traffic with JSON web encryption.
- Test and profile your code.
- Track the proper execution of your code with logs.
- Creating a client library for your API that other developers can consume.
- Select and use modern API frameworks such as Echo.
The course assumes some experience with the Go programming language, as well as some knowledge of HTTP. RESTful web service concepts, JSON, and some Go language features will be introduced in enough detail so viewers can use them to build RESTful services with Go.
About The Author
Bartlomiej Walczak: Bartlomiej Walczak has almost two decades of web development and security experience. He wrote front-ends and back-ends at various scales in PHP, Python, Node.js, and Go. He has worked for large clients and small startups, learning the value of structure from the former, and agility from the latter. These days, Go remains his language of choice; he prefers it due to its ease of use, extensive testing framework, and powerful multithreading capabilities.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 : RESTful API in Go - Why?
- Chapter 2 : Your First API Server
- Chapter 3 : Making Your API RESTful
- Chapter 4 : Testing and Profiling
- Chapter 5 : Frameworks and Middleware
- Title: Building RESTful APIs with Go
- Release date: December 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781789614992
You might also like
Building Microservices with Go
Your one-stop guide to the common patterns and practices, showing you how to apply these using …
Hands-On RESTful API Design Patterns and Best Practices
Build effective RESTful APIs for enterprise with design patterns and REST framework's out-of-the-box capabilities Key Features …
Hands-On RESTful Web Services with Go - Second Edition
Design production-ready, testable, and maintainable RESTful web services for the modern web that scale easily Key …
gRPC [Golang] Master Class: Build Modern API and Microservices
gRPC is a new and modern framework for building scalable, modern, and fast APIs. It is …