Go Serverless! Build, deploy & manage apps with Spring Framework & Spring Cloud Functions in AWS
About This Video
- Design a real-world serverless application from scratch using Spring Cloud Functions and Spring Boot
- Build scalable, reliable, and cost-efficient applications with serverless architecture on AWS using Spring and Spring Cloud Functions
- Learn serverless computing by building a practical application with Spring and AWS platform
Removing the concept of a “server” from your application is huge. Cloud-based infrastructure was a game changer for software development and serverless architectures is the next step in that evolution. Building serverless applications means that your developers can focus on their core product instead of worrying about managing and operating servers or runtimes, either in the cloud or on-premises. Many companies have started adopting serverless architecture for their applications to save costs and improve scalability. This course demonstrates a key strength of serverless computing in AWS using Spring.
This course will introduce you to Serverless Architecture and lead you to build a simple image-resizing service using a Java-based AWS Lambda function. Then we’ll move onto how the Spring framework supports the cloud and in particular AWS. There are a number of different services made available through Spring annotations to make your life easier.
Moving on, you’ll start to build your Spring-based, serverless application that will take a URL and convert it into a short URL that will be stored in DynamoDB and you’ll receive a short URL. You can then use that short URL in a browser and then be redirected to the real site. To demonstrate integration with AWS’ Simple Notification Service (SNS), the application will also send a notification to you whenever someone creates a new short URL. Lastly, you’ll learn about monitoring your application using AWS cloud watch.
By the end of the course, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge to build scalable and cost-efficient Spring applications with serverless architectures.
The code bundle for this video course is available at- https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Building-Serverless-Applications-with-Spring-and-AWS.
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 : Exploring Serverless Applications Using AWS Lambda
- The Course Overview 00:05:07
- Understanding the Concept of Serverless 00:07:05
- Typical Use Cases and Benefits of Going Serverless 00:10:41
- Creating and Setting Up Your AWS Account and Environment 00:06:55
- Setting Up Your Development Environment 00:10:23
- Overview of AWS Capabilities 00:09:18
- Chapter 2 : Building Your First AWS Lambda Function
- Chapter 3 : Diving into Spring Cloud Functions
Chapter 4 : Building a Serverless URL Shortener
- Create a Spring Boot Project with Spring Cloud and AWS Dependencies 00:11:28
- Setting Up and Configuring Your Database in AWS RDS 00:07:53
- Build the AWS Lambda Function to Create a Short Code 00:16:35
- Build the AWS Lambda Function to Take a Short Code and Provide the Long URL 00:14:01
- Redirecting the Browser to the Real Site Using AWS API Gateway 00:13:07
- Setup SES to Send Notifications 00:06:50
- Using SES and Spring to Send an Email Notification 00:17:28
- Chapter 5 : Monitor Your Lambda Functions with AWS CloudWatch
- Title: Building Serverless Applications with Spring and AWS
- Release date: July 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788393966