Complex problem solving is the core skill for 21st Century Teams
Complex problem solving is at the very top of the list of essential skills for career progression in the modern world. But how problem solving is taught in our schools, universities, businesses and organizations comes up short. In Bulletproof Problem Solving: The One Skill That Changes Everything you’ll learn the seven-step systematic approach to creative problem solving developed in top consulting firms that will work in any field or industry, turning you into a highly sought-after bulletproof problem solver who can tackle challenges that others balk at.
The problem-solving technique outlined in this book is based on a highly visual, logic-tree method that can be applied to everything from everyday decisions to strategic issues in business to global social challenges. The authors, with decades of experience at McKinsey and Company, provide 30 detailed, real-world examples, so you can see exactly how the technique works in action. With this bulletproof approach to defining, unpacking, understanding, and ultimately solving problems, you’ll have a personal superpower for developing compelling solutions in your workplace.
- Discover the time-tested 7-step technique to problem solving that top consulting professionals employ
- Learn how a simple visual system can help you break down and understand the component parts of even the most complex problems
- Build team brainstorming techniques that fight cognitive bias, streamline workplanning, and speed solutions
- Know when and how to employ modern analytic tools and techniques from machine learning to game theory
- Learn how to structure and communicate your findings to convince audiences and compel action
The secrets revealed in Bulletproof Problem Solving will transform the way you approach problems and take you to the next level of business and personal success.
Table of contents
- Introduction: Problem Solving for the Challenges of the Twenty-First Century
Chapter One: Learn the Bulletproof Problem Solving Approach
- The Bulletproof Problem Solving Cycle
- Prepare for an Avalanche of Trees!
- Let's Start with Some Case Studies
- Case 1: Does Sydney Airport Have Adequate Capacity?
- Case 2: Should Rob Install Solar Panels on His Roof Now?
- Case 3: Where Should I Move?
- Case 4: Making Pricing Decisions in a Start‐up Company
- Case 5: Should Charles Support the Local School Levy?
- Chapter 1 Takeaways
- Problems to Try on Your Own
- Chapter Two: Define the Problem
- Chapter Three: Problem Disaggregation and Prioritization
- Chapter Four: Build a Great Workplan and Team Processes
- Chapter Five: Conduct Analyses
- Chapter Six: Big Guns of Analysis
- Chapter Seven: Synthesize Results and Tell a Great Story
Chapter Eight: Problem Solving with Long Time Frames and High Uncertainty
- Levels of Uncertainty
- Logic Trees to Deal with Uncertainty
- Case Examples of Long Time Frames and Uncertainty
- Case Study: How Should I Choose My Career?
- Case Study: Will My Retirement Savings Last?
- Case Study: How to Make Really Long‐Term Investments
- Case Study: Building New Businesses with Strategic Staircases
- Case Study: Managing a Long‐Term Strategy Portfolio, Pacific Salmon Example
- Chapter 8 Takeaways
- Problems to Try on Your Own
- Chapter Nine: Wicked Problems
- Chapter Ten: Becoming a Great Problem Solver
- Appendix: Blank Worksheets for You to Try
- About the Authors
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Bulletproof Problem Solving
- Release date: March 2019
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781119553021
You might also like
The Art of Leadership
Many people think leadership is a higher calling that resides exclusively with a select few who …
Storytelling with Data
Influence action through data! This is not a book. It is a one-of-a-kind immersive learning experience …
Think Smarter: Critical Thinking to Improve Problem-Solving and Decision-Making Skills
Train your brain for better decisions, problem solving, and innovation Think Smarter: Critical Thinking to Improve …
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
Don't simply show your data—tell a story with it! Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals …