"If you are looking for a complete treatment of business
intelligence, then go no further than this book. Larissa T. Moss
and Shaku Atre have covered all the bases in a cohesive and logical
order, making it easy for the reader to follow their line of
thought. From early design to ETL to physical database design, the
book ties together all the components of business
--Bill Inmon, Inmon Enterprises
Business Intelligence Roadmap is a visual guide to developing an effective business intelligence (BI) decision-support application. This book outlines a methodology that takes into account the complexity of developing applications in an integrated BI environment. The authors walk readers through every step of the process--from strategic planning to the selection of new technologies and the evaluation of application releases. The book also serves as a single-source guide to the best practices of BI projects.
Part I steers readers through the six stages of a BI project: justification, planning, business analysis, design, construction, and deployment. Each chapter describes one of sixteen development steps and the major activities, deliverables, roles, and responsibilities. All technical material is clearly expressed in tables, graphs, and diagrams.
Part II provides five matrices that serve as references for the development process charted in Part I. Management tools, such as graphs illustrating the timing and coordination of activities, are included throughout the book. The authors conclude by crystallizing their many years of experience in a list of dos, don'ts, tips, and rules of thumb. The accompanying CD-ROM includes a complete, customizable work breakdown structure.
Both the book and the methodology it describes are designed to adapt to the specific needs of individual stakeholders and organizations. The book directs business representatives, business sponsors, project managers, and technicians to the chapters that address their distinct responsibilities. The framework of the book allows organizations to begin at any step and enables projects to be scheduled and managed in a variety of ways.
Business Intelligence Roadmap is a clear and comprehensive guide to negotiating the complexities inherent in the development of valuable business intelligence decision-support applications
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- About the Authors
Part I Stages and Steps
- Chapter Zero Guide to the Development Steps
- Chapter One Step 1: Business Case Assessment
- Chapter Two Step 2: Enterprise Infrastructure Evaluation
- Chapter Three Step 3: Project Planning
- Chapter Four Step 4: Project Requirements Definition
- Chapter Five Step 5: Data Analysis
- Chapter Six Step 6: Application Prototyping
- Chapter Seven Step 7: Meta Data Repository Analysis
- Chapter Eight Step 8: Database Design
- Chapter Nine Step 9: Extract/Transform/Load Design
- Chapter Ten Step 10: Meta Data Repository Design
- Chapter Eleven Step 11: Extract/Transform/Load Development
- Chapter Twelve Step 12: Application Development
- Chapter Thirteen Step 13: Data Mining
- Chapter Fourteen Step 14: Meta Data Repository Development
- Chapter Fifteen Step 15: Implementation
- Chapter Sixteen Step 16: Release Evaluation
- Part II At a Glance
- Appendix Work Breakdown Structure
- Where are the Companion Content Files?
- Title: Business Intelligence Roadmap: The Complete Project Lifecycle for Decision-Support Applications
- Release date: February 2003
- Publisher(s): Addison-Wesley Professional
- ISBN: 0201784203