Consumer Dispute Redressal Machinery
After carefully reading this chapter, you will be able:
- Explain the meaning of consumer dispute redressal machinery.
- Enumerate the composition of the district forum, the State Commission and the National Commission.
- Explain the procedure of handling a complaint in a consumer forum.
- Get an idea about the jurisdiction of different consumer forums/commissions.
- Explain how an appeal to a higher court is made.
The basic objective of the Consumer Protection Act 1986 is to give protection to the consumer against exploitation. Therefore, the Act has provided inexpensive and accessible dispute redressal machinery, through which a consumer can enforce his rights against any type of exploitation ...