C++ Concurrency in Action is a reference and guide to the new C++ 11 Standard for experienced C++ programmers as well as those who have never written multithreaded code. This book will show you how to write robust multithreaded applications in C++ while avoiding many common pitfalls.
about the technologyMultiple processors with multiple cores are the norm these days. The C++11 version of the C++ language offers beefed-up support for multithreaded applications, and requires that you master the principles, techniques, and new language features of concurrency to stay ahead of the curve.
about the book
Without assuming you have a background in the subject, C++ Concurrency in Action gradually enables you to write robust and elegant multithreaded applications in C++11. You'll explore the threading memory model, the new multithreading support library, and basic thread launching and synchronization facilities. Along the way, you'll learn how to navigate the trickier bits of programming for concurrency.
- Written for the new C++11 Standard
- Programming for multiple cores and processors
- Small examples for learning, big examples for practice
about the reader
Written for C++ programmers who are new to concurrency and others who may have written multithreaded code using other languages, APIs, or platforms.
about the author
Anthony Williams is a UK-based developer and consultant with many years experience in C++. He has been an active member of the BSI C++ Standards Panel s nce 2001, and is author or coauthor of many of the C++ Standards Committee papers that led up to the inclusion of the thread library in the new C++ Standard, known as C++11 or C++0x. He has been the maintainer of the Boost Thread library since 2006, and is the developer of the just::thread implementation of the C++11 thread library from Just Software Solutions Ltd. Anthony lives in the far west of Cornwall, England.
Table of contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About This Book
- About the Cover Illustration
- Chapter 1. Hello, world of concurrency in C++!
- Chapter 2. Managing threads
- Chapter 3. Sharing data between threads
- Chapter 4. Synchronizing concurrent operations
- Chapter 5. The C++ memory model and operations on atomic types
- Chapter 6. Designing lock-based concurrent data structures
- Chapter 7. Designing lock-free concurrent data structures
- Chapter 8. Designing concurrent code
- Chapter 9. Advanced thread management
- Chapter 10. Testing and debugging multithreaded applications
- Appendix A. Brief reference for some C++11 language features
- Appendix B. Brief comparison of concurrency libraries
- Appendix C. A message-passing framework and complete ATM example
- Appendix D. C++ Thread Library reference
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Listings
- Title: C++ Concurrency in Action: Practical Multithreading
- Release date: February 2012
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781933988771
You might also like
C++ Crash Course
Upgrade your Code with C++ C++ is one of the most widely used languages for real-world …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …
The Definitive Guide to Java Platform Best Practices–Updated for Java 7, 8, and 9 Java has …
Python’s simplicity lets you become productive quickly, but this often means you aren’t using everything it …