Chapter 12. Classes and Dynamic Memory Allocation
In this chapter you’ll learn about the following:
• Using dynamic memory allocation for class members
• Implicit and explicit copy constructors
• Implicit and explicit overloaded assignment operators
• What you must do if you use
new in a constructor
static class members
• Using placement
new with objects
• Using pointers to objects
• Implementing a queue abstract data type (ADT)
This chapter looks at how to use
delete with classes and how to deal with some of the subtle problems that using dynamic memory can cause. This may sound like a short list of topics, but these topics affect constructor design, destructor design, and operator overloading.
Let’s look at a specific example ...