In this chapter you’ll learn about the following:
• The history and philosophy of C and of C++
• Procedural versus object-oriented programming
• How C++ adds object-oriented concepts to the C language
• How C++ adds generic programming concepts to the C language
• Programming language standards
• The mechanics of creating a program
Welcome to C++! This exciting language, which blends the C language with support for object-oriented programming and for generic programming, became one of the most important programming languages of the 1990s and continues strongly in the 2000s. Its C ancestry brings to C++ the tradition of an efficient, compact, fast, and portable language. Its object-oriented heritage brings C++ a fresh ...