How can we design technology products that enter smoothly into people’s lives, rather than serve as a constant source of annoyance? In this video workshop, presenter Amber Case shows you how to use principles of Calm Technology, a framework for designing ubiquitous devices that engage a user’s attention only when necessary, while calmly remaining in the periphery most of the time.
Through a series of hands-on projects, you’ll learn how to design the next generation of connected devices, including notification styles, compressing information into other senses, and designing for the least amount of cognitive overhead. Calm Technology provides principles that keep people’s lifestyles and environment in mind, allowing technology to amplify humanness instead of taking it away.
With this video, you’ll learn how to:
- Design appropriate notification systems into both physical and software products
- Use methods of Calm Technology to design technology for generations, not seasons
- Communicate the principles of Calm Technology across your organization and team
- Enter your product successfully into the marketplace
This video workshop will show you how to design products that work well, launch well, are easy to support, easy to use, and blend smoothly into a person’s everyday life.
Amber Case is an entrepreneur and user experience designer from Portland, Oregon. She's been featured in Forbes, WIRED, Time, and other publications about her studies on the symbiotic interactions between humans and machines. Co-founder of the location-based platform Geoloqi (since acquired by Esri), she’s keynoted at SXSW.
Table of contents
- Introduction 00:01:39
- The beginnings of Calm Technology 00:06:14
- How ubquitious computing will change everything 00:05:10
- The coming storm: why technology must be calm 00:03:25
- Calm Technology offers a way out 00:05:57
- Principles of Calm Technology 00:24:23
- Calm Communication Patterns 00:06:09
- Status Tone 00:04:44
- Status Shout 00:04:45
- Haptic Alert 00:03:56
- Ambient Awareness 00:03:45
- Timed Triggers 00:01:33
- Contextual Trigger 00:01:20
- Feedback Loop 00:04:20
- Calm Communication Patterns Wrap-Up 00:01:16
- The World is not a desktop 00:03:38
- Calm technology in your Organization 00:03:45
- The Future of Calm Technology 00:05:36
- Title: Calm Technology
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491925898
You might also like
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …
Learn Git in 3 Hours
Build powerful and effective projects using Git Version Control Systems About This Video Learn how to …
O'Reilly Software Architecture Conference 2020 - New York, NY
O’Reilly Media’s Software Architecture Conference (SACON) New York 2020 was Maggie Carrol’s (MAG Aerospace) compelling examination …
Building Microservices, 2nd Edition
Distributed systems have become more fine-grained as organizations shift from code-heavy monolithic applications to smaller, self-contained …