How can we design technology products that enter smoothly into people’s lives, rather than serve as a constant source of annoyance? In this video workshop, presenter Amber Case shows you how to use principles of Calm Technology, a framework for designing ubiquitous devices that engage a user’s attention only when necessary, while calmly remaining in the periphery most of the time.
Through a series of hands-on projects, you’ll learn how to design the next generation of connected devices, including notification styles, compressing information into other senses, and designing for the least amount of cognitive overhead. Calm Technology provides principles that keep people’s lifestyles and environment in mind, allowing technology to amplify humanness instead of taking it away.
With this video, you’ll learn how to:
- Design appropriate notification systems into both physical and software products
- Use methods of Calm Technology to design technology for generations, not seasons
- Communicate the principles of Calm Technology across your organization and team
- Enter your product successfully into the marketplace
This video workshop will show you how to design products that work well, launch well, are easy to support, easy to use, and blend smoothly into a person’s everyday life.
Amber Case is an entrepreneur and user experience designer from Portland, Oregon. She's been featured in Forbes, WIRED, Time, and other publications about her studies on the symbiotic interactions between humans and machines. Co-founder of the location-based platform Geoloqi (since acquired by Esri), she’s keynoted at SXSW.
Table of contents
- The beginnings of Calm Technology
- How ubquitious computing will change everything
- The coming storm: why technology must be calm
- Calm Technology offers a way out
- Principles of Calm Technology
- Calm Communication Patterns
- Status Tone
- Status Shout
- Haptic Alert
- Ambient Awareness
- Timed Triggers
- Contextual Trigger
- Feedback Loop
- Calm Communication Patterns Wrap-Up
- The World is not a desktop
- Calm technology in your Organization
- The Future of Calm Technology
- Title: Calm Technology
- Release date: October 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491925898
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …