118 CAMPUS PLACEMENTS: Ensure You Don’t Remain Unplaced
not been discussed. This would display your creative skills and
will provide you an edge over others.
20. “How important is it to conclude the discussion? How can I
do that eectively?”
Similar to initiating a discussion, concluding it also gets imme-
diate attention. However, if you haven’t contributed at all to the
discussion and only conclude, it may be considered as a strategy
to be in the limelight. While summarizing the GD, you should
take care of the following points:
• If someone has started summarizing the group discussion,
you should not interrupt and summarize again.
• If you feel that a point was incorrectly mentioned or missed
out by the person who was summarizing, you can courteously
add to it.
• You should summarize all the points discussed in the group
discussion in a nutshell and not only the points reﬂecting the
view that you support.
• You should not add new points while summarizing.
• You should keep the conclusion of a GD concise.
DOs and DON’Ts
Here is a handy list of dos and don’ts during a group discussion for
1. Exhibit professional etiquette.
2. Show enthusiasm.
3. Use your voice eectively.
4. Present your ideas eectively.
5. Be assertive; do not react aggressively.
6. Show respect for other participants.
7. Take responsibility and lead the group to a fruitful discussion.
8. Don’t indulge in crosstalks.
9. Listen with interest and keenness, and respond appropriately.
10. Gently intervene into the discussion, if required.
M04_Campus Placements_C04.indd 118 8/29/2016 5:55:20 PM