A simple, ten-step system for mastering the art of effective, persuasive business or technical writing
"The Grahams' system is the best way to transform data and ideas into meaningful information necessary to make profitable decisions. Their system works every time."
—Steven Laposa, PhD, MBA, Loveland Commercial Endowed Chair in Real Estate, Colorado State University
"The Grahams' straightforward program helps my teams create clear and concise reports, letters, and other documents with minimal effort. I want this program to become the standard for my teams."
—Bill Walter, Senior Vice President, Government and Infrastructure Division, KBR
"The Can Do Writing system made my career! I used it to write a winning business plan and proposal, and now I use it every day for all communications. Can Do Writing provides valuable insights into business and management as well as writing techniques."
—Christian Robey, President, DC Progress
You may be an expert at what you do, but if you can't communicate effectively in writing it may not matter. For scientists, businesspeople, and professionals in fields from engineering to public relations, the art of writing well can be a vital key to professional success.
Luckily, you don't need an English degree to produce top-class writing. If you're one of the millions of people who have to write clear, persuasive, understandable documents for your job, Can Do Writing is for you. Whether you're writing a business plan, a scientific paper, a press release, or anything else, this simple, straightforward guide will show you how to do it quickly, with style and confidence. You'll learn how to:
Understand your audience and subject matter
Develop a simple, five-part purpose statement to keep you on track
Organize your main points into a coherent, sensible order
Edit your work for clarity, coherence, organization, and logic
Economize your words to craft a concise, powerful document
Make your documents easily readable for any audience
Table of contents
- Praise for Can Do Writing
- About the Authors
- Introduction: Can Do Writing
- Skillset: Analysis
1. Analyze Purpose and Audience
- 1.1. What Result Do You Want from the Document?
- 1.2. Who is the Audience?
- 1.3. What Does the Audience Do with the Information?
- 1.4. What Information Does the Audience Need?
- 1.5. Does the Audience Know Little or Much About the Information?
- 1.6. Does the Audience Need Proof?
- 1.7. Plan How to Write to Multiple Audiences.
2. Write Your Document's Five-Part Purpose Statement
- 2.1. Decide the Type of Document or Oral Communication to Use.
- 2.2. Pick a Verb That Describes What the Document Does.
- 2.3. Assemble the Five Parts into a Purpose Statement.
- 2.4. Use the Purpose Statement to Settle Controversies.
- 2.5. Purpose Statements Make History.
- 2.6. Practice Steps 1 and 2 Using a Case Study.
- 3. Select Facts
- 4. Organize Your Points in a Sentence Outline
- Skillset: Composing the Draft
- 5. Compose the Draft
- Skillset: Editing
- 6. Review the Draft for Organization and Logic
- 7. Edit for Coherence
8. Edit for Clarity
- 8.1. Use Concrete and Specific Words.
- 8.2. Use Active Voice.
- 8.3. Simplify Tense: Stay in Present Tense When Possible.
- 8.4. Avoid the Helping Verbs Would, Should, and Could.
- 8.5. Identify and Replace Ambiguous Pronouns.
- 8.6. Use Standard English Words.
- 8.7. Check Sentences for Misplaced or Dangling Modifiers.
- 9. Edit for Economy
- 10. Edit for Readability
- Title: Can Do Writing™: The Proven Ten-Step System for Fast and Effective Business Writing
- Release date: April 2009
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470449790
You might also like
Everybody Writes: Your Go-To Guide to Creating Ridiculously Good Content
Finally a go-to guide to creating and publishing the kind of content that will make your …
English Grammar Workbook For Dummies, with Online Practice, 3rd Edition
Improve your English grammar You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by using proper …
A Practical Guide To Business Writing: Writing In English For Non-Native Speakers
Now a days, letters, reports and emails are vital components of business practice. Communication is increasingly …
Business Writing For Dummies, 2nd Edition
Business writing that gets results The ability to write well is a key part of your …