Retain your talent with a proactive approach to employee development, one conversation at a time
When employees are happy at work, the energy and creativity they possess is virtually limitless. But many leaders are ill-equipped to discuss and gauge the career satisfaction of their employees, and risk losing their talent to their competitors. Career Conversations is your guide to developing the skills needed for effective career discussions with your staff, providing step-by-step instructions on how to incorporate this capability into your leadership routine.
It has never been easier for employees to seek other job opportunities. Search firms and online platforms such as LinkedIn make the danger of the competition poaching your best employees all too real. To take active, dynamic and genuine interest in their employee’s career satisfaction and development, leaders require the skills and knowledge to have ongoing career conversations.
Packed full of case studies, practical exercises and key insights, career development expert Greg Smith explains how leaders can guide their employees to achieve career satisfaction by taking an active, dynamic and ongoing interest in their development.
- engage with employees on career aspirations
- listen critically and build trust
- help employees reinvent themselves for the future of work
- gain self-insight and become a more effective leader
- empathise and respond to your staff’s needs.
Career Conversations is a must-read for current and aspiring organisational leaders, Human Resource directors, HR practitioners, senior executives, supervisors, managers and business owners. This book will help you guide your employees through their careers and, in turn, help your company thrive.
Table of contents
- About the author
- Chapter 1 The case for proactive career development
- Chapter 2 Reimagining careers
- Chapter 3 Fit your own mask first
- Chapter 4 Building career self-insight
- Chapter 5 What's your personal brand?
- Chapter 6 The goal of goal setting
- Chapter 7 Who motivates the motivator?
- Chapter 8 The skilled listener
- Chapter 9 Facilitating communication techniques
- Chapter 10 Structuring unstructured conversations
- Chapter 11 Leading a career conversation
- Chapter 12 Ethics and protocols for career development
- Chapter 13 Now you're ready to hold career conversations!
- References and further reading
- End User License Agreement
- Title: Career Conversations
- Release date: July 2019
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780730371991
You might also like
The Effective Hiring Manager
Essential hiring and team-building lessons from the #1 Podcaster in the world The Effective Hiring Manager …
The Little Book of Big Management Theories, 2nd Edition
101 management theories from the world’s best management thinkers – the fast, focussed and express route …
Crucial Conversations Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition, 2nd Edition
The New York Times and Washington Post bestseller that changed the way millions communicate “[ Crucial …
Business Express: Effective Communication Skills
If you need to be in the know in no time at all, Business Express will …