Cargo Theft 101
INFORMATION IN THIS CHAPTER:
• Overview of cargo theft in the United States
• What criminals target and how they steal in-transit cargo
• Summary of downstream costs from cargo theft
• Overview of industry efforts to combat theft gangs
• Discussion of government supply chain initiatives and their relation to theft prevention
Known as the “silent” or victimless crime, cargo theft ultimately costs the U.S. economy several billion dollars annually. At this point we are only able to give an estimated magnitude of the crime. Across the country, trailers loaded with hundreds of thousands of dollars in electronics, pharmaceuticals, clothing, tobacco, and other high-value goods are being stolen at an alarming rate right out from ...
Get Cargo Theft, Loss Prevention, and Supply Chain Security now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience books, live events, courses curated by job role, and more from O’Reilly and nearly 200 top publishers.