Chapter 1. General Networking Theory
General Routing Concepts
Link-state and Distance Vector Protocols
- Examples: Routing Information Protocol Version 1 (RIPv1), RIPv2, Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP)
- Features periodic transmission of entire routing tables to directly connected neighbors
- Mathematically compares routes using some measurement of distance
- Features hop-count limitation
- Examples: Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System (IS-IS).
- Sends local connection information to all nodes in the internetwork.
- Forms adjacencies with neighboring routers that speak the same protocol; sends local link information to these devices.
- Note that although this is flooding of information ...
Get CCIE Routing and Switching Exam Quick Reference Sheets now with O’Reilly online learning.
O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from 200+ publishers.