Answers to Written Labs
Chapter 1: Understanding Basic Networking
Answers to Written Lab 1
1. Bus, ring, and star
7. Star and extended star
8. Virtual LAN
9. A segment
Chapter 2: Internetworking
Answers to Written Lab 2.1
1. The Application layer is responsible for finding the network resources broadcast from a server and adding flow control and error control (if the application developer chooses).
2. The Physical layer takes frames from the Data Link layer and encodes the 1s and 0s into a digital signal for transmission on the network medium.
3. The Network layer provides routing through an internetwork and logical addressing.
4. The Presentation layer makes sure that data is in a readable format for the Application layer.
5. The Session layer sets up, maintains, and terminates sessions between applications.
6. PDUs at the Data Link layer are called frames and provide physical addressing plus other options to place packets on the network medium.
7. The Transport layer uses virtual circuits to create a reliable connection between two hosts.
8. The Network layer provides logical addressing, typically IP addressing and routing.
9. The Physical layer is responsible for the electrical and mechanical connections between devices.
10. The Data Link layer is responsible for the framing of data packets.
11. The Session layer creates sessions between different hosts’ applications.
12. The Data Link layer ...