Population Fact Sheet
Presented to Honorable Shri Manishankar Aiyar Union Minister of Panchayati Raj
- Good news on the population front
- Negative impact of imposing two-child election norms
- Limited impact of two—child norm on India’s population growth
- Arguments against penalties
- Arguments against China’s one—child policy
- Economic prosperity and population size: common misconceptions
- Population stabilization: six policy lessons
1. Good News on the Population Front
Fertility transition in India is well underway. Birth rates have been — and continue — to fall.
- India’s annual population growth rate that was 2.14 percent between 1981–91 fell, for the first time, to below 2 percent (1.93 percent) between 1991–2001.
- There is all—round slowing down ...