Inline power is provided to a powered device as follows:
- A phantom-powered device can be detected as a switch port becomes active.
- A powered device loops the transmit and receive pairs back so that the switch detects its own 340 kHz test tone.
- Power is applied to the port if the device is present; no power is applied if a normal Ethernet device is connected.
- Inline power is provided over pairs 2 and 3 (RJ-45 pins 1,2 and 3,6) at 48V DC.
Inline power is available on the following switch modules:
- Catalyst 6000 Inline Power 48-port 10/100 Ethernet Switch Module (WS-X6348-RJ45V)
- Catalyst 4000 Inline Power 48-port 10/100 Ethernet Switch Module (WS-X4148-RJ45V), with auxiliary DC power shelf and power entry module
- Catalyst 3524XL ...