Get full access to Cisco LAN Switching and 60K+ other titles, with free 10-day trial of O'Reilly.
There's also live online events, interactive content, certification prep materials, and more.
This chapter covers the following key topics:
• Why Segment LANs?—Discusses motivations for segmenting LANs and the disadvantages of not segmenting.
• Segmenting LANS with Repeaters—Discusses the purpose, benefits, and limitations of repeaters in LANs.
• Segmenting LANS with Bridges—Discusses how bridges create collision domains and extend networks. As the foundational technology for LAN switches, this section describes the benefits and limitations of bridges.
• Segmenting LANS with Routers—Discusses how routers create broadcast domains by limiting the distribution of broadcast frames.
• Segmenting LANS with Switches—Discusses the differences between bridges and switches, and how switches create broadcast domains ...
Get Cisco LAN Switching now with the O’Reilly learning platform.
O’Reilly members experience live online training, plus books, videos, and digital content from nearly 200 publishers.
Get Mark Richards’s Software Architecture Patterns ebook to better understand how to design components—and how they should interact.