Cloud native infrastructure is more than servers, network, and storage in the cloud—it is as much about operational hygiene as it is about elasticity and scalability. In this book, you’ll learn practices, patterns, and requirements for creating infrastructure that meets your needs, capable of managing the full life cycle of cloud native applications.
Justin Garrison and Kris Nova reveal hard-earned lessons on architecting infrastructure from companies such as Google, Amazon, and Netflix. They draw inspiration from projects adopted by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF), and provide examples of patterns seen in existing tools such as Kubernetes.
With this book, you will:
- Understand why cloud native infrastructure is necessary to effectively run cloud native applications
- Use guidelines to decide when—and if—your business should adopt cloud native practices
- Learn patterns for deploying and managing infrastructure and applications
- Design tests to prove that your infrastructure works as intended, even in a variety of edge cases
- Learn how to secure infrastructure with policy as code
Table of contents
1. What Is Cloud Native Infrastructure?
- Cloud Native Benefits
- Infrastructure as a Service
- Platform as a Service
- Cloud Native Infrastructure
- What Is Not Cloud Native Infrastructure?
- Cloud Native Applications
- How Do Cloud Native Applications Impact Infrastructure?
- 2. When to Adopt Cloud Native
- 3. Evolution of Cloud Native Deployments
4. Designing Infrastructure Applications
- The Bootstrapping Problem
- The API
- The State of the World
- The Reconciler Pattern
- The Reconciler Pattern’s Methods
- The Auditing Relationship
- 5. Developing Infrastructure Applications
- 6. Testing Cloud Native Infrastructure
7. Managing Cloud Native Applications
- Application Design
- Implementing Cloud Native Patterns
- Application Life Cycle
- Application Requirements on Infrastructure
- 8. Securing Applications
- 9. Implementing Cloud Native Infrastructure
- A. Patterns for Network Resiliency
- B. Lock-in
- C. Box: Case Study
- Title: Cloud Native Infrastructure
- Release date: November 2017
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491984307
You might also like
Head First Design Patterns, 2nd Edition
You know you don’t want to reinvent the wheel, so you look to design patterns—the lessons …
Software Engineering at Google
Today, software engineers need to know not only how to program effectively but also how to …
Go is rapidly becoming the preferred language for building web services. There are plenty of tutorials …
Developers often struggle when first encountering the cloud. Learning about distributed systems, becoming familiar with technologies …