How to Turn Around Problem Employees and Employees with Problems
There are Five Objectives that you will need to accomplish when counseling problem performers:
1. Win the employee’s agreement that there is a need for a performance change.
2. Identify the cause of the problem.
3. Agree on the specific actions that the employee will take to improve his or her performance.
4. Follow up regularly with the employee to ensure that he is reaching the goals you both have set.
5. Recognize the employee’s accomplishments so as to reinforce continued correct behavior.
These five goals are important whether you are counseling an employee with a work-related problem or one with a personal problem that is influencing job performance. ...