Appendix E. Maxims for Reading Code
Hell! there ain't no rules around here! We are tryin' to accomplish somepn'n!
Chapter 1: Introduction
1. Make it a habit to spend time reading high-quality code that others have written. (p. 3)
2. Read code selectively and with a goal in your mind. Are you trying to learn new patterns, a coding style, a way to satisfy some requirements? (p. 4)
3. Notice and appreciate the code's particular nonfunctional requirements that might give rise to a specific implementation style. (p. 4)
4. When working on existing code, coordinate your efforts with the authors or maintainers to avoid duplication of work or bad feelings. (p. 5)
5. Consider the benefits you receive from open-source software to be ...