2Listening: The Foundation
When you complete this chapter, you should be able to:
• Explain why listening skills are the foundation of clear communication.
• Explain why hearing is not necessarily listening.
• Identify obstacles to good listening.
• Define active listening, clarifying, and paraphrasing.
• State key actions for improving listening skills.
• Evaluate your listening skills at work.
The first word that usually comes to mind when people think of “communication” is speaking. But speaking is only part of the process of communicating, and while it is important, there is another part that is even more important: ...