1. This chapter is a development of several previous papers, the latest version of which is in H. Brocklehurst and R. Phillips (eds), History, Nationhood and the Question of Britain (Basingstoke: Palgrave, 2004).
3. M. Baldwin-Edwards and M.A. Schain (eds), ‘The Politics of Immigration in Western Europe’, West European Politics, 17:2, special issue, 1994.
4. J.L. Watson, Between Two Cultures (Oxford: Blackwell, 1977).
5. Centre for Contemporary Cultural Studies (CCCS), The Empire Strikes Back: Race and Racism in 70s Britain (London: Hutchinson, 1982).
6. Stuart Hall, ‘New Ethnicities’, in J. Donald and A. Rattansi (eds), ‘Race’, Culture and ...