In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Identify the different types of DRAM packaging
• Explain the varieties of RAM
• Select and install RAM
• Perform basic RAM troubleshooting
Whenever people come up to me and start professing their computer savvy, I ask them a few questions to see how much they really know. In case you and I ever meet and you decide you want to “talk tech” with me, I’ll tell you my first two questions just so you’ll be ready. Both involve random access memory (RAM), the working memory for the CPU.
1. “How much RAM is in your computer?”
2. “What is RAM and why is it so important that every PC has some?”
Can you answer either of these questions? Don’t fret if you can’t—you’ll know how to answer both of them before ...