CHAPTER 8Expansion Bus
In this chapter, you will learn how to
• Identify the structure and function of the expansion bus
• Describe the modern expansion bus
• Explain classic system resources
• Install expansion cards properly
• Troubleshoot expansion card problems
Expansion slots have been part of the PC from the very beginning. Way back then, IBM created the PC with an eye to the future; the original IBM PC had slots built into the motherboard—called expansion slots—for adding expansion cards and thus new functions to the PC. The slots and accompanying wires and support chips on the first PC and on the latest and greatest PC are called the expansion bus.
The expandability enabled by an expansion bus might seem obvious today, but think about ...