Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to answer the following questions:
• What are the goals of network security, and what sorts of attacks do you need to defend against?
• What best practices can be implemented to defend against security threats?
• What are the characteristics of various remote-access security technologies?
• How can firewalls be used to protect an organization’s internal network, while allowing connectivity to an untrusted network, such as the Internet?
• How can virtual private networks (VPN) be used to secure traffic as that traffic flows over an untrusted network?