Book DescriptionWhether you facilitate meetings for a living or simply as part of your job, you've surely found yourself “standing in the fire”—at the center of a group that is polarized, angry, fearful, and confused. Veteran facilitator Larry Dressler has found that what makes the crucial difference in these situations is the leader's presence. You have to master a way of being that allows you to remain effective no matter how hot things get.
Dressler shows how to cultivate six “stances”—mental, emotional, and physical— that will keep you steady, impartial, purposeful, compassionate, and good-humored,. Drawing on his own experiences and the insights of thirty-five distinguished practitioners, he helps you keep your cool and make the kind of inventive, split-second decisions these pressure-cooker situations demand.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: The New Rules of Decision-making
- Chapter 1: What is Consensus?
- Chapter 2: How do I Prepare?
- Chapter 3: What are the Basic Steps?
- Chapter 4: How do I Work with Disagreement?
- Chapter 5: Six Traps that Undermine Consensus
- Chapter 6: Ten Tips for Better Consensus Meetings
- Chapter 7: Toward High-Commitment Decisions
- Resource Guide
- About the Author
- Title: Consensus Through Conversations
- Release date: November 2006
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781576759356