What do you need to become a data-driven organization? Far more than having big data or a crack team of unicorn data scientists, it requires establishing an effective, deeply-ingrained data culture. This practical book shows you how true data-drivenness involves processes that require genuine buy-in across your company, from analysts and management to the C-Suite and the board.
Through interviews and examples from data scientists and analytics leaders in a variety of industries, author Carl Anderson explains the analytics value chain you need to adopt when building predictive business modelsâ??from data collection and analysis to the insights and leadership that drive concrete actions. Youâ??ll learn what works and what doesnâ??t, and why creating a data-driven culture throughout your organization is essential.
- Start from the bottom up: learn how to collect the right data the right way
- Hire analysts with the right skills, and organize them into teams
- Examine statistical and visualization tools, and fact-based story-telling methods
- Collect and analyze data while respecting privacy and ethics
- Understand how analysts and their managers can help spur a data-driven culture
- Learn the importance of data leadership and C-level positions such as chief data officer and chief analytics officer
Table of contents
- 1. What Do We Mean by Data-Driven?
- 2. Data Quality
- 3. Data Collection
4. The Analyst Organization
- Types of Analysts
- Analytics Is a Team Sport
- Skills and Qualities
- Just One More Tool
- 5. Data Analysis
- 6. Metric Design
- 7. Storytelling with Data
- 8. A/B Testing
- 9. Decision Making
- 10. Data-Driven Culture
- 11. The Data-Driven C-Suite
- 12. Privacy, Ethics, and Risk
- 13. Conclusion
- Further Reading
- A. On the Unreasonable Effectiveness of Data: Why Is More Data Better?
- B. Vision Statement
- Title: Creating a Data-Driven Organization
- Release date: August 2015
- Publisher(s): O'Reilly Media, Inc.
- ISBN: 9781491916919
You might also like
Practical Time Series Analysis
Time series data analysis is increasingly important due to the massive production of such data through …
Generative Deep Learning, 2nd Edition
Generative AI is the hottest topic in tech. This practical book teaches machine learning engineers and …
Software development today is embracing events and streaming data, which optimizes not only how technology interacts …
A well thought out, fit-for-purpose data strategy is vital to modern data-driven businesses. This book is …