Creating a Drama-Free Workplace contains strategies to avoid and reverse these troubling trends. Learn why trust and connectedness slip through our fingers despite our yearnings for workplaces that are grounded in collaboration and success.
Stop common missteps before they walk out the door with your most valuable assets—trust, morale, and productivity. You can create the environments you desire and deserve with these proven skills grounded in neuroscience.
In this book you will learn how to:
Take the drama out of disagreement and enhance your ability to problem solve.
Eliminate the 5 root causes of workplace tension.
Be hard on the problem and soft on the people and create lasting alliances.
Preserve your integrity by talking to people rather than about them.
Replace bitterness about the past with a shared responsibility for the future.
Knowing how to transform conflict into collaboration affects the outcome of every interaction, challenge, and opportunity.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
Chapter 1: Self-Defeating Habits of Otherwise Brilliant People®
- Hostility, stress, and depression are on the rise
- The price of contempt
- We used to be friends
- With hope, desire for connection overrides fear
- Hoodwinked by the bright lights of contempt
- Does this material stick?
- Three cultures at work
- What's the barrier?
- Thirty heart hassles a day
- Frustrations accumulate and amplify
- Two sources of energy
- Assumption, emotion, behavior
Chapter 2: The Stinky Twins: Blaming Others, Blaming Self
- Negativity bias: Our brains are nervous and cranky!
- Master of First Assumption
- Inflammatory thinking
- Fear triggers a tsunami of blame
- Predictable workplace targets and scapegoats
- Anger, hostility, impaired immune systems, and heart disease
- First Assumption: I'm frustrated and it's your fault!
- Second Assumption: I'm frustrated and it's my fault
- Chronic anger and fragile self-esteem
- Chapter 3: The Reflective Assumption: A Pathway to Dialogue and Data
Chapter 4: The Triggers and Costs of Adversarial Factions
- Stage One: Disagreement and disappointment
- Stage Two: Avoidance
- Stage Three: “I need to vent”
- Stage Four: Adversarial factions form
- Stage Five: Negative speculation spreads and reaches the target
- Stage Six: Mistrust spreads to their groups
- Stage Seven: Elevate
- Stage Eight: Termination
- Stage Nine: From afar and in the bar
- Avoid these self-defeating mistakes
- Chapter 5: Stories that Stick
Chapter 6: The Invisible Costs of Contempt
- Cost 1: Mind-boggling amounts of wasted money
- Cost 2: Problems multiply
- Cost 3: Partners in crime sell each other down the river
- Cost 4: Credibility suffers
- Cost 5: Resentment of First Assumption leaders and colleagues
- Cost 6: Blame turns potential allies into enemies
- Cost 7: Blame becomes an automatic response
- Cost 8: Blame demoralizes employees and destroys pride in work
- Cost 9: We risk being seen as hypocrites
- Cost 10: Accountability and standards decline
- No one is safe
- Chapter 7: Strategies for Calming Others, Calming Self
- Chapter 8: Reciprocity: The Most Reliable Predictor of Behavior
- Chapter 9: Five Root Causes of Workplace Conflict and Tension
- Chapter 10: Open the Dialogue
- Chapter 11: You Can Be Successful or Self-Righteous
- Chapter 12: Create Cultures of Appreciation, Respect, Pride, and High Morale
- Epilogue: Transforming the Enemy
- About the Author
- Title: Creating a Drama-Free Workplace
- Release date: January 2020
- Publisher(s): Career Press
- ISBN: 9781632657756
You might also like
The Design of Everyday Things
First, businesses discovered quality as a key competitive edge; next came science. Now, Donald A. Norman, …
How to Talk to Anyone at Work: 72 Little Tricks for Big Success in Business Relationships
From the bestselling author of How to Talk to Anyone comes a book dedicated to helping …
Designing Data-Intensive Applications
Data is at the center of many challenges in system design today. Difficult issues need to …
The Manager’s Phrase Book
The Manager’s Phrase Book is a collection of thousands of ready-to-use phrases that will enable you …