Flying in the face of current thinking, this book suggests that we do not need to 'think outside the box' in our quest for creativity, rather we should rethink the way we look 'inside the box'. This idea will resonate only too well with those who have endeavoured to be creative by thinking outside that box, only to have their attempts scuppered by the constraints of bureaucracy and organizational politics. Instead of fighting a losing battle, the author suggests that creativity should be worked at within the constraints of the organizational box, but that space needs to be grown and allowed to be shaken up. Only by experimenting, mutating and finding new directions can you uncover business paths that lead to success. The reader is encouraged not to free themselves from all their knowledge and experiences (the thinking outside the box method) but to use their knowledge and experience in new ways.
The book is structured around three key steps:
Expanding the box: so that the pieces of the puzzle in it can move around more freely
Filling the box: with even more knowledge, and how to get these new pieces of the puzzle to connect with the existing ones
Shaking the box: so that the pieces fall into new places and form new patterns.
The book shows that anybody can be creative.
The creative methods suggested in the book will be linked to real business examples from which techniques have been developed to help their implementation. Numerous exercises and 'eye-openers' form part of the practical implementation of Micael Dahlén's ideas. The book is framed by models and concepts of how creativity works (the creative process, the creative person and the creative result) and what its effects are.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Chapter 1: Why this book?
- Part I: It's About Success
Part II: Think Inside the Box
- Chapter 6: What is creativity?
- Chapter 7: The creative result
- Chapter 8: The creative process
- Chapter 9: The creative person
- Chapter 10: Thinking inside the box
Part III: Expanding the Box
- Chapter 11: The four walls of the box
- Chapter 12: The first wall: conventions and rules
- Chapter 13: The second wall: common sense
- Chapter 14: The third wall: physiology
- Chapter 15: The fourth wall: consciousness
- Part IV: Filling the Box
Part V: Shaking the Box
- Chapter 21: Preparations for the final step
- Chapter 22: Shaking the box side to side
- Chapter 23: Shaking the box up and down
- Part VI: Congratulations: You've Become Smarter
- Further Reading
- Title: Creativity Unlimited: Thinking Inside the Box for Business Innovation
- Release date: July 2009
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470770849
You might also like
You, Only Better
If you want to be happy, fulfilled and energised its probably best not to obsess over …
Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
Don't simply show your data—tell a story with it! Storytelling with Data teaches you the fundamentals …
Creativity & Problem Solving (The Brian Tracy Success Library)
The crucial element separating an exceptional career from a lackluster one is the ability to devise …
An Introduction to Critical Thinking and Creativity: Think More, Think Better
This book is about the basic principles that underlie critical thinking and creativity. The majority of …