In this UPDATED SECOND EDITION (first edition titled "Crucial Confrontations"), you'll learn how to hold anyone accountable, master performance discussions, and get results.
Behind the problems that routinely plague our organizations and families, you'll find individuals who are either unwilling or unable to deal with broken promises. Colleagues break a rule, coworkers miss a deadline, friends fail to live up to commitments (or just plain behave badly), and nobody says a word. Nobody holds anyone accountable. With repeated infractions, individuals become increasingly upset until they finally do speak their minds, but they do so poorly--often creating whole new sets of problems.
Research proves that mishandled disappointments aren't just morale killers, they're institution killers--diminishing organizational performance by 20 to 50 percent and accounting for up to 90 percent of all divorces.
Everyone knows how to run for cover, or, if sufficiently provoked, step up to problems in a way that causes a real ruckus. Crucial Accountability teaches you how to deal with violated expectations in a way that solves the problem at hand without harming the relationship--and, in fact, even strengthens it.
Broken promises, missed deadlines, poor behavior--they don't just make others' lives miserable; they can sap up to 50 percent of organizational performance and account for the vast majority of divorces.Crucial Accountability offers the tools for improving relationships in the workplace and in life and for resolving all these problems--permanently.
Table of contents
- Foreword 00:00:46
- Preface 00:01:30
- Introduction: What Is Crucial Accountability? And Who Cares? 00:23:35
- Part One: Work on Me First: What to Do Before an Accountability Conversation 00:01:15
- Chapter 1: Choose What and If: How to Know What Conversation to Hold and If You Should Hold It 00:48:50
- Chapter 2: Master My Stories: How to Get Your Head Right Before Opening Your Mouth 00:41:25
- Part Two: Create Safety: What to Do During an Accountability Conversation 00:01:02
- Chapter 3: Describe the Gap: How to Start an Accountability Conversation 00:45:03
- Chapter 4: Make It Motivating: How to Help Others Want to Take Action 00:47:26
- Chapter 5: Make It Easy: How to Make Keeping Commitments (Almost) Painless 00:40:51
- Chapter 6: Stay Focused and Flexible: What to Do When Others Get Sidetracked, Scream, or Sulk 00:43:37
- Part Three: Move to Action: What to Do After an Accountability Conversation 00:01:07
- Chapter 7: Agree on a Plan and Follow Up: How to Gain Commitment and Move to Action 00:22:13
- Chapter 8: Put It All Together: How to Solve Big, Sticky, Complicated Problems 00:20:44
- Chapter 9: The 12 Yeah-Buts: How to Deal with the Truly Tough 00:34:47
- Notes 00:00:38
- Title: Crucial Accountability: Tools for Resolving Violated Expectations, Broken Commitments, and Bad Behavior, Second Edition (Audio Book)
- Release date: May 2013
- Publisher(s): McGraw-Hill
- ISBN: 9780071837224
You might also like
Vocal Leadership: 7 Minutes a Day to Communication Mastery, with a foreword by Roger Goodell (Audio Book)
Communicate like a LEADER Research proves that the greatest impact speakers have in any conversation comes …
Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High, Second Edition (Audio Book)
The New York Times and Washington Post bestseller that changed the way millions communicate “[ Crucial …
Influencer: The New Science of Leading Change, Second Edition (Audio Book)
CHANGE YOUR COMPANY. CHANGE THE LIVES OF OTHERS. CHANGE THE WORLD. An INFLUENCER leads change. Whether …
Personality at Work: The Drivers and Derailers of Leadership (Audio Book)
Personality matters. The actions and interactions between individuals have a huge impact on outcomes in the …