Insights into the true history of cyber warfare, and the strategies, tactics, and cybersecurity tools that can be used to better defend yourself and your organization against cyber threat.
- Define and determine a cyber-defence strategy based on current and past real-life examples
- Understand how future technologies will impact cyber warfare campaigns and society
- Future-ready yourself and your business against any cyber threat
The era of cyber warfare is now upon us. What we do now and how we determine what we will do in the future is the difference between whether our businesses live or die and whether our digital self survives the digital battlefield. Cyber Warfare - Truth, Tactics, and Strategies takes you on a journey through the myriad of cyber attacks and threats that are present in a world powered by AI, big data, autonomous vehicles, drones video, and social media.
Dr. Chase Cunningham uses his military background to provide you with a unique perspective on cyber security and warfare. Moving away from a reactive stance to one that is forward-looking, he aims to prepare people and organizations to better defend themselves in a world where there are no borders or perimeters. He demonstrates how the cyber landscape is growing infinitely more complex and is continuously evolving at the speed of light.
The book not only covers cyber warfare, but it also looks at the political, cultural, and geographical influences that pertain to these attack methods and helps you understand the motivation and impacts that are likely in each scenario.
Cyber Warfare - Truth, Tactics, and Strategies is as real-life and up-to-date as cyber can possibly be, with examples of actual attacks and defense techniques, tools. and strategies presented for you to learn how to think about defending your own systems and data.
What you will learn
- Hacking at scale - how machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) skew the battlefield
- Defending a boundaryless enterprise
- Using video and audio as weapons of influence
- Uncovering DeepFakes and their associated attack vectors
- Using voice augmentation for exploitation
- Defending when there is no perimeter
- Responding tactically to counter-campaign-based attacks
Who this book is for
This book is for any engineer, leader, or professional with either a responsibility for cyber security within their organizations, or an interest in working in this ever-growing field.
Table of contents
A Brief History of Cyber Threats and the Emergence of the APT Designator
- Hackers aren't what Hollywood shows us
- The Battle of the Beams
- Modem hacks
- Anti-virus growth
- The dawn of Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs)
- Early APT attacks
- Confusion in cyber defense
- US and allied cyber defense establishment
- The cyber shot heard round the world
- Tit-for-Tat cyber warfare
- Pandora's box busts open
The Perimeter Is Dead
- A scenario detailing holes in the model
- A global perimeter falls
- Even compliant organizations' perimeters fail
- Governments' perimeters fail
- Users, BYOD, and the obliteration of the perimeter
- Applications add to insecurity
- Authentication methods failed
- IoT devices poke holes in any perimeter
- You can't fix stupid, or evil
- Emerging Tactics and Trends – What Is Coming?
- Influence Attacks – Using Social Media Platforms for Malicious Purposes
- DeepFakes and AI/ML in Cyber Security
Advanced Campaigns in Cyber Warfare
- Cyber warfare campaigns
- False flags corrupt campaign attribution in cyberspace
- Cyber attack campaigns for the coming decade
Strategic Planning for Future Cyber Warfare
- Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth
- What type of strategy?
- When the nature of combat demands a change in strategy
- What does an effective strategy in cyberspace look like?
Cyber Warfare Strategic Innovations and Force Multipliers
- Defensive tooling and strategic enablers
- Offensive tooling and strategic enablers
Bracing for Impact
- Micro-segmentation is a key to survival
- A pragmatic application for SDN
- Kill the password, limit the pain
Survivability in Cyber Warfare and Potential Impacts for Failure
- What good are laws in war?
- "Law 1" – Default means dead
- "Law 2" – Think strategically, move tactically
- "Law 3" – Details, details
- "Law 4" – Kill the password
- "Law 5" – Limit the blast radius
- Impact from failure
- Appendix – Major Cyber Incidents Throughout 2019
- Other Books You May Enjoy
- Title: Cyber Warfare - Truth, Tactics, and Strategies
- Release date: February 2020
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781839216992
You might also like
Mastering Linux Security and Hardening - Second Edition
A comprehensive guide to securing your Linux system against cyberattacks and intruders Key Features Deliver a …
IoT and Edge Computing for Architects - Second Edition
Learn to design, implement, and secure your IoT infrastructure. Revised and expanded for edge computing. Key …
Digital Forensics and Incident Response - Second Edition
Build your organization's cyber defense system by effectively implementing digital forensics and incident management techniques Key …
Cyber Minds brings together an unrivalled panel of international experts who offer their insights into current …